Monday, August 3, 2015

"Pour You Out a Blessing"


Malachi 3:10b  ...and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.





We had a guest preacher at our church yesterday who preached two excellent, convicting messages about what Christians ought to forget and what they should remember (you can hear them at the church's website, www.biblebaptistfairbanks.com). The second message was by far the most convicting of the two. There have been numerous times along this adoption journey that I fretted about how we were going to pay for this item, or how will a situation be resolved (just read some past posts to see how I've floundered). The preacher reminded us that kind of thinking is no different than the disciples' disbelief after Jesus fed the 5,000 in Mark 6. Read the story and put yourself inside it. Imagine that you were really there and saw this miracle. Would you be amazed? Would you be skeptical? Would you wonder if Jesus could do it again? 


This was not the first miracle the disciples had witnessed, but apparently they were a bit slow of learning in the matter of faith. When Jesus showed up to calm the storm, they were amazed - but the following statement indicates that this was an unbelieving amazement:

52 For they considered not the miracle of the loaves: for their heart was hardened.

As I listened to the preacher, I suddenly realized that too often I wait on God's provision worried about whether it will be enough, whether it will be on time, whether .... - you get the picture. Instead, I ought to be looking back at all that He has already done for us and sitting on the edge of my seat excited to see how He will answer this time. Because He WILL provide. He WILL do something amazing.

Last week, the boys found out we wanted to adopt them. Their response was joy and excitement! Their workers then approached us about another visit, this time with the boys coming to our town for a while as their foster family went on vacation. We asked for help locating beds and dressers for the boys. The amazing part? Within 48 hours we had everything we needed, and IT WAS ALL FREE. Very generous people just gave us what we needed. One couple didn't even know us when they offered a bed for free.

God has always shown Himself faithful to us when were in in need - why wonder if He will be faithful in the now when His faithfulness in the past is so abundantly clear? God never changes; it is our foolish, unbelieving hearts that need to change. As the hymn, How Can I Fear, says:

When shadows fall and the night covers all

There are things that my eyes cannot see.
I never fear, for the Saviour is near.
My LORD abides with me!

How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?

When I'm alone and I face the unknown
And I fear what the future may be,
I can depend on the strength of my Friend!
He walks along with me.

How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?

Jesus is King! He controls everything!
He is with me each night and each day.
I trust my soul to the Saviour's control;
He drives all fear away!

How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?

No comments: